What is cute and crunchy, and filled with cheesy fun? These Cheeseburger and Caramelized Onion Purses. Cheeseburger, Cheeseburgurzzz in paradise happening in my neck of the woods today! Or shall I say, I wish I was in paradise. Somewhere warm and tropical sipping a nice cocktail. I don’t know about you, but this weather is nutty. Today my family and I awoke to 2 inches of snow, after having seventy degree weather. What? Seriously, will winter ever end; I sure hope so!
To offset this wacky weather, I decided to whip up a fun appetizer to cozy on up too – yet again being home with the inclement weather is the most ideal spot today. There is nothing like a delicious bite to munch during these difficult times, right?
Hello…Cheesy, oniony, scrumptious, crunchy deconstructed cheeseburgers, in a wondrous bite sized portion – just ready for some serious dipping capabilities. What more can you ask for? The American classic reinvented for you to nosh and dip away to your heart’s content. Cheeseburgers are awesome, and when you add some sweet caramelized onions to the mix, a punchy flavor is sure to linger on your taste-buds.
Cheeseburgers are only a blueprint, and you can sure go the old-school avenue if you wish – ketchup, cheese, and a classic sesame seed bun. But, why not design something unique – open the door to endless possibilities, and mix things up a little!
These Cheeseburger and Caramelized Onion Purses, not only add boundless texture, but the sweet caramelized onions add a spectrum of earthy love. And, let us not forget about the crunch of those wonton wrappers which change the formula from classic to fantastic.
Top with pickles, and now you are talking salty goodness bundled into a dream.
These little purses become a full-on party treat. Get ready to have a fabulous gathering with these elevated bites. The copious amounts of cheese and oniony flavor are sure to delight. Sometimes our favorites deserve a little reinvention to please the crowds. And, boy do these Cheeseburger and Caramelized Onion Purses do the trick.
Why not lift your spirits and put a spin on the classic that everyone loves? Just make sure you have the ketchup on hand.
- 1 pound ground beef (I used 90% lean)
- 36 wonton wrappers
- 1 egg beaten
- ¼ pound American cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, sautéed and caramelized
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Ketchup (for serving)
- Chop the onions and add the 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a pan.
- In a large sauté pan caramelize the onions, stirring and browning for 25-30 minutes, until nice and golden. Set aside.
- Add the ground beef to the sauté pan, cooking and breaking up into pieces. Drain excess juice, and return to pan.
- Add the American cheese, stirring until it is melted and well dispersed. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- On a clean surface, lay out the wonton wrappers. Using your fingertip (or a small pastry brush), cover all the edges of the wonton wrapper with the beaten egg.
- Add a dollop of the ground beef mixture, and top with a little caramelized onions. Try not to overstuff, or you will not be able to fold.
- Fold the wonton wrappers corner to corner and firmly seal the edges. Pinch the center until it is sealed and makes a purse.
- In a pot, heat the vegetable oil to 425º degrees.
- Working in batches, carefully place the purses in the hot oil. The purses will quickly brown, and become crispy (approximately 1 minute to 1½ minutes until they are cooked).
- Serve with ketchup, and enjoy!