Is there a Tex Mex feast on your weekend agenda? I am not sure about you, but since my kids have ended school, I have had some serious hankering for these spicy Chorizo Shrimp Poblano Stuffed Peppers. Poblano peppers are one of my favorite peppers, and these green fiery roasted peppers can be filled with whatever your heart might desire. Not only can they make one happy, but they are filled with earthy flavors to relieve your everyday stresses.
If you have noticed, I have slightly taken a break from my blog these past few weeks. In all honesty, I have been feeling under the weather these past few months.
Don’t worry, I truly have not disappeared – I just like to say that I took a slight detour…
Sometimes you just need take a break from it all – A mini blog break, or rejuvenation in this crazy blogging world, right?
So to celebrate my new rejuvenation, I am bringing you something so tasty and unique. Chorizo Shrimp Poblano Stuffed Peppers!
These little beauties are sensational, and they are loaded with smokey chorizo, hearty shrimp, and a brown rice filling – bursting with a hint of fantastic lime and cilantro seasonings. I know, I must be making you hungry, right?
Now that the summer vacation is in full swing, I am dancing to a new beat with some fun party foods. Can we just say that I am one tired mama in need of a vacation! Yup, preferably south of the border. Somewhere that I can sit on a beach, and enjoy one fine salty margarita in hand with these delicious bites of spicy packed flavor. Sounds good doesn’t it!
Poblano peppers are such a versatile chile pepper – milder in heat, and very popular in many Mexican dishes. This one of a kind pepper is packed full of smokey flavor and sweetness. Once you roast these little gems, their skin starts to soften and blister – just waiting for one to peel and stuff with heavenly goodness. All you need, is a little imagination and some wonderful ingredients to fill these delicious green cuties.
Grab your appetites. These Chorizo Shrimp Stuffed Poblano Peppers are a great solution for your next summer meal. Enjoy!
- Olive oil to brush peppers
- 4 poblano peppers (roasted)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion minced
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 ounces of chorizo sausage chopped into ½ inch cubes
- 2 juiced limes
- ½ cup of sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- ½ cup of water
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice (I used Trader Joe's fully cooked long grain brown rice - or you can use another brand)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 4 ounce can of baby shrimp
- ½ cup of chopped cilantro
- 1½ cups of Queso shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 400ºdegrees.
- Brush all sides of the poblano peppers with olive oil and place on a lined cookie sheet to roast.
- Roast for 5 minutes a side or until the poblano peppers start to become blistered or golden brown.
- Let the poblano peppers cool. Peel the outer skin from the poblano peppers.
- On a cutting board, make a slit and de-seed the membranes of the peppers. Set aside in a baking tray.
- Add the olive oil to a fry pan, and sauté the onion for 10 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Chop the chorizo and add the sausage to the onion and garlic mixture.
- Pour the sherry wine, and juice of the limes into the mixture. Add the tomato paste, and water. Slowly stir the mixture, until the tomato paste dissolves and is well combined.
- Add the cooked rice, shrimp, cumin, salt, pepper, and chopped cilantro, stirring frequently until well dispersed. Simmer for about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of the Queso cheese into the mixture until it melts.
- Fill the poblano peppers carefully with the chorizo shrimp stuffing. Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup of cheese ontop of the poblano peppers.
- Bake at 400º degrees for 10 minutes until the cheese ontop is golden brown and melted.