Ok, what happens when it is officially Spring, and a snow storm blankets the Northeast? Well, I dive right into some classic comforting pasta, and mix in a whole lot of love. Yup, cream and pasta with some fabulous spring vegetables, balancing the storminess and achiness of my heart with this blustery weather. So on this day of irony, I am bringing to you a delicious Creamy Spring Pasta with Sausage and Peas. Not only will this comfort you soul, but it will brighten your mood with its delicious simplicity.
Umm…anyone battling wintry weather today, I totally understand your pain. Just as the weather started to show signs of warmth, and my daffodils in the garden started to sprout – another snow storm pummels with surprise. Yuck, right? Complete March madness that makes you go crazy.
If your like me, I already tucked away my wintry cloths, puffer coats, boots and hats. So, being unprepared with Spring attire can make you feel quiet foolish, especially when 2 inches of snow are blanketing the ground. And yet; wouldn’t you know, my children are begging to wear shorts on this crazy day – Like, What??
I need a break!
And boy, is this a break alright. This Creamy Spring Pasta with Sausage and Peas will balance any wacky day, and fill the day with creamy goodness.
What happened in this recipe is that everything good about Spring, happened to mix with sautéed onions, garlic, and cream. And then, a velvety cream sauce was mixed with hot and sweet sausage, adding an undeniable depth of flavor for your taste buds to scream for more!
Holy pasta molly! The combination of ease and awesomeness truly will set this pasta apart. The garlic, and onions that are slowly simmered in white wine add a wholesome base. Then a delicate combination of fire-roasted tomatoes, peas, Parmigiano Reggiano, and cream help to formulate a succulent rich tomato sauce. If you think that I stopped there, well guess again. Top with fresh basil; mix and enjoy!
Get those forks ready for some serious creamy flavor. The rotini pasta will add a little spiral of fun for all you Spring lovers out there.
- 1 pound of hot and sweet sausage, removed from the casings and cooked ( 2 links of hot, 3 links of sweet).
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup of white wine
- 1 14.5 oz can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 cup of cream
- 1 can of peas with liquid
- ½ cup parmigiano-reggiano
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound of whole wheat rotini pasta
- ¼ cup of fresh basil chiffonade
- Remove casings from sausage and cook, crumbling and breaking in a fry-pan. Remove and reserve to a plate.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to the sausage drippings and sauté the onion and garlic, until translucent and soft.
- Add the wine and reduce by half.
- Pour the fire-roasted tomatoes and peas with liquid into the onion and garlic sauté. Add salt and pepper and simmer until it cooks for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, parmigiano-reggiano, and cooked sausage.
- Cook, and simmer for an additional 15 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened and the flavors have combined.
- In the meantime, boil a pot of water and add the rotini pasta. Cook based on package directions.
- Drain, and add tomato sauce.
- Mix, and garnish with fresh basil.