It’s here! Cinco de Mayo. And, what better way to commemorate the festivities than with a delicious Crock-Pot Ancho Chicken Tacos and Pineapple Mango Bean Salsa recipe. In my opinion, this is the best feast day in the foodie blogging world – and one that is filled with fun vibrant dishes for all to enjoy.
Cinco de Mayo is a day that I can have an excuse to eat tacos, drink margaritas, and dip my crunchy chips into guac’s or salsa dishes, until my heart’s content. Of course, I make sure that I never leave out the tequila – you and I know that the party would never be the same without something to wash down all that spicy goodness. Arriba, Arriba!!!
In case anyone is wondering about the history behind this fantastic fiesta, Cinco de Mayo is a celebration when the Mexican army beat the French at the Battle of Puebla in 1862. I personally don’t know much about the battle, but I do know that I have attended many fun parties and kicked my heels up, celebrating the emancipation with a fun-loving spirit – only battling the next day. Ahem...I know not the most dignified way to enjoy the fun-spirited flavors this special day brings forth – but I have truly learned from my experiences, and embraced the colorful variety of cuisine that this holiday offers. And, I can truly say that this Crock-Pot Ancho Chicken Tacos and Pineapple Mango Bean Salsa recipe is one that will make you feel like you are in the heart of the celebration.
Tender, juicy, chicken, slowly cooked in a crock-pot to ensure that all the flavors are infused ever so magically. This ultimately creates a mouth-watering chicken filling, and one that will wonderfully marry those crunchy tortillas. Top these tacos with the delicious Pineapple Mango Bean Salsa, and you have yourself a magnificent torpedo of flavor – a great meal or dinner for any day of the week.
This recipe is so easy to make, and one that will allow you to focus your time on entertaining your guests. And of course, creating those fabulous margaritas that you will want to pair with this flavorful chicken and salsa taco dish. I think you and I are on the same page – telepathic energy, right in time for the festivities.
Grab your appetites, and try to figure out what I’ll post next!
- 2 - 2½ pounds of boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon of cumin
- 1-2 large limes juiced (approximately ½ cup of lime juice)
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of ancho chile powder
- ½ teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- corn tortillas (or tortillas of your choice)
- 2 cups of pineapple cubed into ½ inch pieces (half a pineapple)
- 1 mango cubed into ½ inch pieces
- 1 half a lime juiced (1½ tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons of fresh cilantro finely minced
- ½ chopped red onion
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped habanero pepper
- 6 oz of rinsed and drained black beans
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- ½ tablespoon of ancho chile powder (optional)
- In a slow cooker, place the boneless chicken thighs.
- Add the cumin, lime juice, onion, ancho chile powder, pepper, salt, honey and vinegar.
- Cook for 3 hours on high, until the chicken is nice and tender and you can shread it with a fork. Cover, and cook an additional 1 hour to allow the juices to absorb into the shredded chicken.
- Core, and cut the pineapple into ½ inch cubes and place in a mixing bowl.
- Cut the mango into ½ inch cubes and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped fresh cilantro, onion, lime juice, habanero pepper, apple cider vinegar, ancho chile powder (optional), and black beans.
- Stir and let the flavors combine. You can chill the salsa for a few hours until the chicken is cooked.
- Spray a fry pan with cooking oil, and cook the tortillas 1-2 minutes a side until they are golden brown and crispy (optional).
- Fill the corn tortillas with the crock-pot ancho chicken, top with the pineapple mango bean salsa and enjoy!