TGIF! Breakfast is on the menu today, and right in time for the most important day of the year – Mother’s Day!! This recipe for Skinny Avocado Eggs Benedict Polenta Patties are a great way to entertain all those special moms out there. And, this skinny version of the standard Eggs Benedict will win many over without all the guilt of consuming those extra calories. This is a delicious meal that takes your health into consideration without sacrificing flavor.
What a long week this has been, and I am feeling the burn from juggling the many tasks of life. The kids finally went back to school, and I found myself playing catch-up from our staycation. Of course, having a list to accomplish those tasks was just plain silly – in fact, I never had the chance to look at that list with all the extra entertaining that took place to occupy my little firecrackers this past week. That is why I had to create this tasty recipe, free of heavy butter and extra fats. I needed a skinny version of my favorite breakfast, and one that would ultimately jump-start my brain after the tiresome break.
Not, only does this version maintain the same integrity of the classic French style Eggs Benedict, but it is also a great gluten-free option. Yup, an extra bonus for all you gluten intolerant folks out there! Skinny Avocado Eggs Benedict Polenta Patties are in full swing this fantastic Friday.
Hot crispy polenta patties, Avocado, Canadian-style bacon, and poached eggs are topped with a heavenly drizzle of lightened hollandaise sauce, and sprinkled with some awesome garden fresh chives. This recipe is noteworthy, and easy to make if you can master the art of egg poaching. Believe it or not, it is a simple and quick method, that takes very little time. But, precision is key.
For starters, get a pot of water, heat and once it starts to come to a bubble (prior to coming to a boil) add a cracked egg to a ramekin, and slowly add that beauty to the water. Cook the egg for approximately 3 minutes on a low boil (or until the whites are firm and the yolk is gooey and runny). Remove with a spoon and set aside, then continue this awesome transformation with the remaining eggs, making sure that you do not cook that wholesome egg yolk.
This is the magic that you want to have on your plate! I think you see where I am going with this.
Just look at the mouth-watering yolk that covers this avocado, polenta, and Canadian bacon presentation once it is pierced. Scrumptious vibrant yellow yolk covering every bite, and full of pure decadent flavor. Yes, please! Just add the lightened hollandaise sauce, with a rich lemony flavor, and let that tantalize your taste-buds. And, don’t forget those green chives that will add a punch of oniony taste sure to have you slopping every yellow streak of yolky fun – or shall I say – licking your plate if you so choose.
Every fork full will have your appetites in check.
- 6 eggs poached
- 9 ounces of polenta cut into ½ inch slices
- 1 avocado sliced thinly
- Cooking spray
- 6 slices of Canadian bacon cooked
- ½ cup of light mayonnaise
- ½ cup of water
- 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice (depending upon taste preference)
- 2 teaspoons of mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ¼ teaspoon of fresh ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped chives for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a pre-boil.
- Just when the water begins to form small bubbles, sieve an egg into the pot, cooking for 3 minutes or until the egg white becomes firm and the yolk remains undercooked. Set the eggs on a plate to rewarm prior to assembly. Save the water to reheat.
- In a frypan, spray with cooking spray and fry the polenta slices until golden brown (approximately 5 minutes flipping). Set aside.
- Spay the frypan again, and fry the Canadian bacon until golden, but not crispy (approximately 1 minute a side).
- In a small pot, combine, mayonnaise, water, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Whisk until heated, smooth and creamy in nature.
- Add the poached eggs back to the water to reheat for 1 minute.
- Layer the polenta pattie with, ham, avocado, a poached egg, lightened hollandaise sauce, and chive garnish.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!