Grill season is officially here, and this Spicy Cucumber Carrot Salad is perfect for all those wonderful dinners that you have planned for your backyard barbecue. Refreshing, crunchy, spicy, and filled with a little asian pizzaz – this is sure to take center stage or accompany some fabulous dinner solutions this season.
Did I tell you that I almost blew up while attempting to light my grill the other day. Silly me, or shall I say a thoughtless preoccupied mother of three – always rushing and just simply wanting to get dinner started early. In the process, I almost killed myself and burnt our house down. Yup, a good lesson on grilling 101. NEVER, and I mean NEVER, think the grill is lit after just one click of the ignite button. Make sure, you actually see the flames, and do not have your cover closed and assume that the grill is lit. Oh, and I am sure you all know this one tip too – certainly NEVER hit the light button if you should smell even the faintest amount of gas. Yes, this by far was the most foolish thing that I have done in quite some time.
I am not sure, where my brain happened to be on this day. I will certainly be careful next time. And, I will certainly make sure to lock my food pantry, since my little guy managed to break in and dump the olive oil everywhere while I was trying not to kill myself. Ahh, one turn of your back, and the results can be one messy disaster with toddlers!
But the results, can be tasty, spicy, sweet and savory for all your dining pleasures.
Now I am in search of a new grill, and of course simple recipes to accompany all the wonderful grilling sensations I am hoping to create this season. This delightful Spicy Cucumber Carrot Salad is simple, delicious, and versatile to serve with any poultry, pork, beef, or fish dish.
Your grilling adventures will thank me! And, I am happy to report that I am thankful that I survived to create this simple salad solution for you.
- 2 large cucumbers peeled and sliced ( I like to leave a little green for color)
- ½ cup of grated carrot or matchstick carrots (approximately 1 carrot)
- 3 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of chile oil
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt, more to taste as necessary
- 2 tablespoons of scallions
- Peel and thinly slice the cucumbers into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Grate and or add the ½ cup of matchstick carrots to the cucumber.
- Add the rice vinegar, chile oil, sesame oil, soy, juiced lime, sugar, salt and scallions.
- Mix well, chill and let sit for 20 minutes until the flavors blend.
- Serve with your favorite BBQ items!